Last But Not Least, the Mighty Wood …

Posted: September 4, 2012

Shuttled to last place by the vagaries of the alphabet, a consideration of the Woodhull House flag closes out our summer series on House flags of The Lawrenceville School. It is a matter of fact and School history that Woodhull House, nicknamed “the mighty Wood” by the boys, is in truth a great survivor, and its endurance is symbolized in its flag.
 
Built in 1885 as one of the original Circle Houses, Woodhull House was named for Henry Woodhull Green, brother of School benefactor John Cleve Green. The House was destroyed by fire in 1892 but was completely rebuilt in the same year. As a result, the House flag is black and gold with a phoenix in the center. The phoenix is a mythical bird said to be perpetually reborn from the ashes of its previous existence.
 
Like the other Circle Houses, Woodhull takes House football as seriously as any interscholastic rivalry, and the annual battle against Griswold for “the muffler” is an important part of Lawrenceville athletic lore.
 
Please submit alumni news and inquiries to bhorn@lawrenceville.org.
 

Posted: September 4, 2012

Recent News

  • A Series of Lawrenceville Head Masters

    Posted September 4, 2015

    Stephen S. Murray H’55 ’65 P’16 (2015- )

    We conclude our summer series by offering a warm welcome to Stephen S. Murray, The Lawrenceville School’s 13th Head Master. Steve and his wife, Sarah; their five children, Sam (24), Maggie (21), James (19), Grace ‘16 (16), and Henry (11); and the family’s two Labradors, Rocky and Roscoe, are happy to call Foundation House their home.

  • Matt Carter ’09 Finds a Sidekick in Sidekick

    Posted September 2, 2015

    Batman had Robin, the Lone Ranger had Tonto, and Shrek had Donkey, but Matt Carter ’09 couldn’t seem to find his sidekick when it came to staying in shape on the road as a Division I college athlete. So the now former water polo player created his own portable, all-in-one, exercise training platform, aptly naming it “Sidekick.”

  • A Series of Lawrenceville Head Masters

    Posted August 27, 2015

    Michael S. Cary H’47 P’01 ’03 (1996–2003) and Elizabeth A. Duffy H’43 ’55 ’79 P’19 (2003–2015)

    Michael Cary came to Lawrenceville in 1996. He was noted for his attention to the faculty and the students and for increasing the availability of financial aid. By focusing on grants and eliminating loans as part of the School’s financial aid package, Lawrenceville became more affordable for a wider base of students.

  • Help Us Welcome New Head Master Steve Murray H’55 ’65 P’16!

    Stephen S. Murray H'55 '65 P'16, Lawrenceville's 13th Head Master
    Posted August 24, 2015

    Thanks to the miracle of modern technology, not only can you join the virtual celebration when Stephen S. Murray H’55 ’65 P’16 is installed as Lawrenceville’s thirteenth Head Master on October 9, but you can help us welcome him.

  • Ankhor’s Aweigh for Tanmay Rao ‘15

    Posted August 20, 2015

    When others spent the summer of 2010 in more recreational pursuits, Tanmay Rao ’15 created a math tutoring program called Peer Support Program (PSP).