By combining athletics, dining, and recreation, the Tsai Dining and Athletic Center (TDAC) will be a community resource unlike any other at an independent school.
With approximately 250,000 square feet of functional space, TDAC will preserve and repurpose the best of Lawrenceville’s existing field house while adding new dining and athletic facilities that reflect the latest standards in sports and nutrition. Construction is slated to begin in summer 2020.

Phase I (new construction): pool, hockey rink, basketball, dining facility, lobby. Anticipated opening winter 2022.

Phase II (renovation): indoor track, indoor practice facilities, squash courts, wrestling room, as well as basketball and community fitness. Expected completion summer 2023.

Led by Lawrenceville’s internal Project Management Group, the School is partnering with Sasaki, an internationally recognized design and architectural firm; Gilbane, Inc., an industry leader in construction both nationally and internationally; and Zubatkin, a project management and owner representation firm. Together, we are striving for Silver LEED status.


Lawrenceville Milestones

List of 3 items.

  • The Old Gym

    From The Lawrence, February 11, 1901:
     
    “The General plans for the Gymnasium have been accepted and the trustees at their next meeting will decide whether there are to be any changes made or not in the original plan submitted by Peabody and Stearns of Boston … The Gym will probably be a three story brick building situated between the chapel and bath house. On the Ground floor will be a swimming tank about 60 ft. by 20 ft., two bowling alleys, a dressing room for the athletic teams and also one for a visiting team. A large part of the second and third floors will be taken up with the gymnasium itself which is now planned to be 52 ft. by 85 ft., but it is hoped that it may be made 60 ft. by 100 ft. There will be a running track suspended from the roof of the Gym. The lockers, about four hundred in number, will be on the second floor and the third floor will have a trophy room, rooms for fencing, handball and boxing. There will also be shower baths on this floor. The Gym throughout will be thoroughly equipped with all the modern apparatus connected with an up-to-date gymnasium.”
  • Lavino Field House

    Lavino Field House opened on May 19, 1951, to great fanfare and national press as the premier facility of its kind among independent schools and many colleges. The driving force behind the field house was Edwin M. Lavino, Class of 1905, who was then serving as president of the School’s Board of Trustees and was principal donor to the project. The New York Herald Tribune called Lavino Field House “the biggest, most expensive and the best prep school athletic plant in the country.”
     
    Its centerpiece was 36,000 square feet of space with a dirt floor and a glass roof – the Arena, designed for indoor practices and housing a three-lane indoor track that became known as the fastest in the East. The only major change to the field house since that time came in 1982-83, when the dirt floor was replaced by a rubberized Mondo surface.
  • Irwin Dining Center

    Thanks to a principal gift from John N. Irwin II, Class of 1933, in honor of his wife, Jane, School culture underwent a sea change with the opening of Irwin Dining Center in 1972. Underform dining moved from the individual Houses to a central location, with the Third and Fourth Forms convening in pods according to their House and Second Formers eating in a designated Lower School dining room. Coeducation required further dividing the pods, and over time, students of both genders came to share meals with friends in any pod. Irwin Dining Center has also been home to the McClellan Dining Room, a formal space for 40 guests; the School post office; a student lounge; and the Jigger Shop.
Through House and Harkness, Lawrenceville challenges a diverse community of promising young people to lead lives of learning, integrity, and high purpose.  Our mission is to inspire the best in each to seek the best for all.