A Message from Head Master Steve Murray
After much thought, and to protect the safety and well-being of our students, faculty, and staff, I have decided to cancel all of the School’s international trips. The rapid spread of the COVID-19 virus in recent days and the lack of medical data makes short-term planning challenging. While the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the U.S. Department of State, and the World Health Organization have, [at the time of writing,] categorized our specific destinations within acceptable travel risk, this guidance has its limits. These organizations do not tell us whether these destinations will be safe in ten days. Nor do they address a country’s medical resources and capacity to respond effectively to an outbreak, let alone whether minor children would be allowed to leave the country rather than be placed in quarantine for an unknown period of time.
I recognize there is a very real chance that the trips could have gone forward without a problem. And, of course, nothing would please me more than for my concerns about the spread of the virus to be unfounded. But my role as Head Master requires me to look not only at statistical data but to weigh the pros and cons of multiple factors, many intangible.
We ask for your forbearance as we cope with this exceedingly complicated and uncertain situation. Please know that the well-being of all members of our community is our highest priority, and that we are committed to keeping you informed of the steps we are taking to ensure their safety through the duration of this global public health condition.
Please find more information about Coronavirus precautions here.